Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr Google+ Soundcloud iTunes RSS Contact Us
Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Welcome to Delta Goodrem's Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

CHART WATCH #1: Sitting on Top of the World

charts

• Please log in to reply
743 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,711 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I just learnt that Raining Diamonds (Ricki Lee's single back late last year) went Platinum.

The chart run for this single was #23, #19, #36, #39, #34, #39, #39, #39, #48.
9 weeks in the Top 50 and only peaking in Top 30 for 2 weeks.

With SOTOTW very close to going 2xP, I think 3xP is very achievable. I know I keep going on and on about it but its so exciting to me. There arent many singles that go 3xP or higher and it would be such an amazing feat that is better than her going #1. Seriously, whats better? Her going #1 and dropping off the charts in three weeks - going unnoticed and perhaps going Platinum - or going #2, hitting 3xP and everyone knowing the song. If that did happen, and people didnt know the song even though it went #1 then that would be very upsetting cause its sort of like she didnt earn it - it was just because of the logies performance, just because of the instores, just because it was 'Delta' and not because of the song being good on its own merit. Whilst I would have loved for it to go #1 - longevity and accreditations is what its all about and I feel that because this song has stood the test of time as it has, and in my prediction will end up being 3xP - it makes me feel very positive about Australia embracing the second single and then the album. Delta has spent so much time away from Australia that this comeback could have very much have not worked. Step by step Delta will take on the world but it needed to start with Australia.

I've analysed the ARIA Accreditations of songs released in 2011 and 2012 and some of the accreditations may be higher now but this is as of April 2012 (+ anything I knew)

3xP
360 Feat. Gossling Boys Like You EMI 3x PLATINUM
Bruno Mars Count On Me WAR 3x PLATINUM
Calvin Harris Feel So Close SME 3x PLATINUM
Calvin Harris Feat. Kelis Bounce SME 3x PLATINUM
Cobra Starship Feat. Sabi You Make Me Feel WAR 3x PLATINUM
David Guetta Feat. Nicki Minaj Turn Me On EMI 3x PLATINUM
David Guetta Feat. Usher Without You EMI 3x PLATINUM
Ed Sheeran The A Team WAR 3x PLATINUM
Guy Sebastian Don't Worry Be Happy SME 3x PLATINUM
Gym Class Heroes Feat. Adam Levine Stereo Hearts WAR 3x PLATINUM
Havana Brown We Run The Night UMA 3x PLATINUM
Hilltop Hoods Feat. Sia I Love It UMA 3x PLATINUM
Hot Chelle Rae Tonight Tonight SME 3x PLATINUM
Jessie J Domino UMA 3x PLATINUM
Lloyd Feat. Andre 3000 & Lil Wayne Dedication To My Ex (Miss That) UMA 3x PLATINUM
Snoop Dogg Vs. David Guetta Sweat (David Guetta Remix) EMI 3x PLATINUM
The Black Eyed Peas Just Can't Get Enough UMA 3x PLATINUM
Wynter Gordon Dirty Talk WAR 3x PLATINUM
Bruno Mars The Lazy Song WAR 3x PLATINUM
Christina Perri Jar Of Hearts WAR 3x PLATINUM
Far East Movement Feat. Cataracs & Dev Like A G6 UMA 3x PLATINUM
Katy Perry Last Friday Night (TGIF) EMI 3x PLATINUM
Katy Perry Feat. Kanye West E.T. EMI 3x PLATINUM
LMFAO Feat. Natalia Kills Champagne Showers UMA 3x PLATINUM
Matt Corby Into The Flame EP UMA 3x PLATINUM
Timomatic Set It Off SME 3x PLATINUM
Alexis Jordan Happiness SME 3x PLATINUM
Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa Feat. Bruno Mars Young, Wild & Free WAR 3x PLATINUM

4xP
Taio Cruz Feat. Flo Rida Hangover UMA 4x PLATINUM
Coldplay Paradise EMI 4x PLATINUM
David Guetta Feat. Sia Titanium EMI 4x PLATINUM
Nicki Minaj Starships UMA 4x PLATINUM
Nicki Minaj Super Bass UMA 4x PLATINUM
Reece Mastin Good Night SME 4x PLATINUM
Jennifer Lopez Feat. Pitbull On The Floor UMA 4x PLATINUM
Lady Gaga Born This Way UMA 4x PLATINUM

5xP
Rihanna Feat. Calvin Harris We Found Love UMA 5x PLATINUM
Flo Rida Good Feeling WAR 5x PLATINUM
Flo Rida Feat. Sia Wild Ones WAR 5x PLATINUM
Foster The People Pumped Up Kicks SME 5x PLATINUM
Jason Derulo Don't Wanna Go Home WAR 5x PLATINUM
Adele Rolling In The Deep INE 5x PLATINUM
Adele Someone Like You INE 5x PLATINUM
Jessie J Feat. B.o.B Price Tag UMA 5x PLATINUM
Carly Rae Jepsen Call Me Maybe UMA 5x PLATINUM
One Direction What Makes You Beautiful SME 4x PLATINUM

6xP or Higher
Pitbull Feat. Ne-Yo, Afrojack & Nayer Give Me Everything SME 6x PLATINUM
LMFAO Sexy And I Know It UMA 8x PLATINUM
Maroon 5 Feat. Christina Aguilera Moves Like Jagger UMA 8x PLATINUM
Gotye Feat. Kimbra Somebody That I Used To Know UMA 9x PLATINUM
LMFAO Feat. Lauren Bennet & GoonRock Party Rock Anthem UMA 11x PLATINUM

It seems that 3xP makes it a certified hit. It'd be fair to say that a large percentage of Australians like the 3xP song.
As you move into the 4xP and higher range, these are the songs that people look back and go 'this represented music in 2012' or in the case of many of these, 2011. Apart from Wild Ones, Starships and Call Me Maybe, the songs from 4xP and higher were all released in 2011 because it takes a long time for the songs to get that successful.

So here's to hoping Delta reaches that 'certified hit' status of 3xP and it would be incredible if she could get into the 4xP category cause then it becomes possible for her to have one of the Top 10 selling singles of the year, reflecting the single as representing 2012 for years to come.

A performance of the single on The Voice would achieve this immensely :)

This is JUST the first single as well. I have big hopes for the second single too. Especially if Delta can do strategic promotion including instores, lots of live singing, cross promotion on TV as well as the song just connecting with the public which would show on radio. SOTOTW has not necessarily underperformed on radio, but it didnt do what her past singles have done yet. I'm hoping a live performance on The Voice will bring a world of positivity into the song and ignite it on radio. Nothing promotes a second singles success coming off the back off a very successful first single so whilst I think the second single will be released in a little over a month, I think its very important that Sitting On Top Of The World serves its purpose of getting people excited for it.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,711 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Also, I havent been watching the Kiwi iTunes so I dont know if this means she will rise on official charts from #38 this week but its at #26 which is very good. Australian TV makes us big over there - Stan Walker, Reece Mastin and Guy Sebastian all do well there cause of it. So The Voice is the perfect platform for Delta, and the winner too.

As for Delta's NZ Stats:
Albums: Innocent Eyes (#6, 3xP), Mistaken Identity (#7, Platinum), Delta (#12, Gold)
Singles: Born To Try (#1, Gold), Lost Without You (#4), Innocent Eyes (#14), Not Me Not I (#11), Out of the Blue (#14), In This Life (#31).

Delta has never toured in New Zealand which is a bit upsetting so I think its time for it. Whenever she comes to NZ - its for less than a week and it hits the mass promo, which serves its purpose. The market isnt large enough for her to invest a lot of time in, but surely she should at least do one gig there as part of her Australian Tour. Like I'm not saying NZ should be focused on but it'd be cool if she had a big following there.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,711 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I have an exam on Tuesday so whilst I'm trying to study, I end up coming on here hence my frequent posts.

SOTOTW slips to #22 on iTunes atm and can easily slip to #25 soon or lower which is fine, I guess. I'm just wondering if what has happened in the past few weeks will happen again in that on the weekend the song surges to #11 or #12 like it did last week. Doesnt usually happen until about Saturday night but it might not happen at all - we'll see.

A performance on Monday night would do wonders for the song but its unknown if that will be the case

Posted Image

OFFLINE   MzMandy

MzMandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
I was expecting her to go 2x Platinum last week or this week. If Matt Corbys single only spent 2 weeks in the top #10 but has stayed top 20-30 for 24 weeks and is certified 3x platinum (on average about 8 weeks apart from each certification) surely SOTOTW, being now in its 8th about to be 9th week, has spent more weeks in the top 10, should have been certified 2x platinum by now.

Edited by MzMandy, 17 June 2012 - 06:08 AM.

OFFLINE   FABIO

FABIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta
Dropped two spots to 14 this week

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,711 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

I was expecting her to go 2x Platinum last week or this week. If Matt Corbys single only spent 2 weeks in the top #10 but has stayed top 20-30 for 24 weeks and is certified 3x platinum (on average about 8 weeks apart from each certification) surely SOTOTW, being now in its 8th about to be 9th week, has spent more weeks in the top 10, should have been certified 2x platinum by now.

I was expecting this week or next. 2xP within 2 months though is ridiculous, not many artists achieve that so I wouldnt be disappointed. These things take time. But if its not next week, itd surely be
week after

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Walshy

Walshy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta

I was expecting this week or next. 2xP within 2 months though is ridiculous, not many artists achieve that so I wouldnt be disappointed. These things take time. But if its not next week, itd surely be
week after

As you said before brad, it wont be long before its 2xplatinum, but to give it more of a hit she should definately perform it tomorrow night
Posted Image

OFFLINE   JimJim

JimJim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
She would be hitting 2x platinum in hard sales this week, but the record company also has to be bothered requesting the certification (thus we get lots of singles with under-certification, or they suddenly jump from gold -> 2x platinum in a random week). I have little doubt she will hit it next week.

Brad, Ricki-Lee's 'Raining Diamonds' is a good example of a sleeper hit, it also spent a bit of time in the #51-100 region of the chart, notching up sales.

OFFLINE   MzMandy

MzMandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Well its #14 this week and still the second highest australian single :) Lets just hope she is certified 2x platinum or by a long chance but not unachievable jumps to 3x platinum :P on next weeks chart and previously speaking of Corby's single it was certified 4x platinum today.

OFFLINE   Johnson

Johnson

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 4,626 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Sitting on Top of the World is #13 on digital tracks chart.

OFFLINE   possessionless*

possessionless*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Is it just my iTunes or is SOTOTW currently sitting at 19 & 23? That's not possible... :S

I'd post a screenshot but don't know how..

OFFLINE   dj030892

dj030892

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
It's at number 26 on mine.

OFFLINE   MzMandy

MzMandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
OMG, the whole top 10-11 is occupied by songs from the voice finalist. Deltas been pushed to #30

OFFLINE   MzMandy

MzMandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
SOTOW has moved from 38 to 23 on the NZ top 40 :)

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,711 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
That is so cool :)

She's at #18 on NZ iTunes now

The show has only been airing for 3 weeks now and they show it once a week on NZ's third largest channel TV2 (Friday 8.30) and it does pretty well - usually winning in its timeslot and coming 6th on the night overall. They are up to the 4th episode (still on blind auditions) so as the show goes on, Delta's popularity is set to increase there. It would be good if she could go over there and do an interview + performance on Good Morning TVNZ (on TV One - same network as the show on TV2) which would be good for her career so she can tour there as well as for the show which ultimately helps her star rise there. She could literally do that in one day - fly there the night before. Do TVNZ in the morning, do heaps of radio interviews and a few TV spots and then fly back to Australia in the afternoon and it would do so much for her career there.

She could easily have a Top 10 single there which she has only done twice (Born To Try #1 and Lost Without You #4 in 2003). In this interview before 8 min mark () she said she planned to tour there in late 2008 which I believe would have been the case but considering it took Delta so long to tour Australia (early 2009 after 2007 release), I assume it would have been down to management which has changed now so I'm sure its going to happen.

I mean NZ is extremely small compared to Australia. Like music-wise, its a fifth of it. Literally - with accreditations, its a fifth. But its another market and if it is as easy as doing one day of promotion and that amassing a Top 10 or perhaps a Top 5 hit (on top of the screening of The Voice) - that will shift more albums and allow her to tour there which is great in allowing her to excel in her career outside Australia.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Adam :)

Adam :)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
It was a real shame she didn't perform sitting on top of the world last night it would have boosted it big time. They're obviously getting ready for single number 2 hopefully it's not for a few weeks to try and let all the voice artists settle back down and stuff. Keith performed his song without you and that has gone from not even being on the iTunes charts to number 21 whilst delta is slowly slipping still at number 32 good performance of te prayer however, I just feel it was a missed opportunity. (actually SOTOTW probably wouldn't have been a good song for rachael to sing) any thoughts?

So I stand on this hill
With my flag held high
With the will to survive
Bullets flying by
Broken hears scattered on this battlefield
Holding out for something real
I won't give up
I won't give in
I fight for hope in this
WAR ON LOVE

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,711 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
^ I agree but at the same time I'm just so proud of Delta. She went from being called nasty names at the start of the series to being so graceful and adored by a large number of the haters. For her to sing her own song and be all 'me me me' would have been bad for her image and people would be less inclined to see her on next season. Whilst I agree in that she missed a big opportunity, I feel there will be bigger opportunities ahead. The show did not rate as big as expected and so its okay.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   FABIO

FABIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta
I don't even know where all the talk of her Performing came from since it is the voice not the delta show. I think she sang perfectly and yes people will respect her much more for it. The duet should be released soooooon. Oh and delta album has gone into top 30 now

OFFLINE   Adam :)

Adam :)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Just wanted to add something here about SOTOTW - I was just on Bandit.fm and noticed that this song is equal in popularity with both BTT and LWY - I guess we could take from that that this song has firmly cemented Delta back into Australia's eye sight and has proved that she still has it. I don't know whether I'm reading into it too much, but seeming as it shares the same popularity with BTT and LWY I thought that was a pretty big deal. Anyway sorry if it makes no sense or is useless information! I'm studying for exams at the moment and any distraction is a good one!

So I stand on this hill
With my flag held high
With the will to survive
Bullets flying by
Broken hears scattered on this battlefield
Holding out for something real
I won't give up
I won't give in
I fight for hope in this
WAR ON LOVE

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,711 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
FABIO: I was pushing for her to perform SOTOTW but it didnt really fit into the show at all if she wanted to. I mean even special guest Jimmy Barnes was fit into a battle round rematch with Prinnie + Mahalia and the night previously with Lionel Richie teamed up with coac Joel Madden. No room for special guests or any of the coaches to perform solo songs. Strict to their purpose of The Voice it seems a Lady Gaga performance would not have made sense (as rumoured) as the show was entirely dedicated to the contestants and the coaches, but with coaches only performing between the four or in assistance to the contestants. So in a way its unique and cool, but if it were the X Factor, Delta would have performed her song solo and it wouldve put it high up in the charts now but oh well. I'm confident the song will still go 3xP (after going 2xP very soon) by the end of its chart run.

ADAM - to be honest it doesnt mean anything. Bandit.fm has only been around for a few years and generally popularity is judged by most popular at this time, not overall.

The song has risen on radio! like heaps!

Up to 21 from 28

http://www.aircheck....abaseChart.aspx

Probably cause of all promotion leading up to The Voice finale. We'll see if it carries on to next week, I predict she will drop next week but we will see.. I'm thinking Delta will still be Top 20 this week but Top 15 unlikely

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users