Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr Google+ Soundcloud iTunes RSS Contact Us
Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Welcome to Delta Goodrem's Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

CHART WATCH #1: Sitting on Top of the World

charts

• Please log in to reply
743 replies to this topic

ONLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,530 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

Well that was just for singles. Album sales are actually terrible, it's quite an achievement now to do even 2x platinum with a hit album in Australia (there's obviously the occassional blockbuster though e.g. '21' or 'Funhouse').

I've been saying that for AGES! Thank God theres someone else on the forum who understands this stuff too. Were you ever on the old forum? What was your username? I dont remember you

Insulting to a lot of us, tbh. A lot of us understand. Lol.

Artin

Sorry Artin! I didnt mean it like that hahaha

Posted Image

OFFLINE   JimJim

JimJim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes

Well that was just for singles. Album sales are actually terrible, it's quite an achievement now to do even 2x platinum with a hit album in Australia (there's obviously the occassional blockbuster though e.g. '21' or 'Funhouse').

I've been saying that for AGES! Thank God theres someone else on the forum who understands this stuff too. Were you ever on the old forum? What was your username? I dont remember you

I was on the old forum, but it was many, many years ago (around 2008-9). I've come from the music chart forum UKMix, you can see our write-up of this weeks charts here: http://www.ukmix.org...c.php?p=3738626

OFFLINE   Johnson

Johnson

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 4,320 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Sitting on Top of the World is #2 in digital track chart (up from #3 last week), and #2 in Australian artists chart (behind Reece Mastin). Which suggests that the song has suffered in physical sales.

ONLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,530 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Holding on to Top 5 would be supreme. We are two days into the chart now (Friday to Saturday, Saturday to Sunday) and for the moment, the chart seems pretty stable - but it could change.

1. Flo Rida - Whistle
2. Carly Rae - Call Me Maybe
3. Maroon 5 - Payphone
4. Ed Sheeran - Lego House
5. Delta

and I think it will stay like that. Whistle + Payphone are only gonna get bigger as radio play them more and more - Carly Rae will be in Sydney very soon (tomorrow I think) and Ed Sheeran tix go on sale tomorrow which I'm very very excited for. Sure, Delta's got the biggest tv show behind her atm but at the same time, being at #5 is very very good and I'm so proud that this single is doing well - it seems like people are actually enjoying it and its a climber! for once her music is climbing instead of just debuting high and then dropping off.

This song will just continue growing on people to the point where I hope it will go 3xPlatinum which only one of Delta's singles has done (Born To Try). Further to the point, only two other singles have gone 2xPlatinum (Predictable and Lost Without You). So if this song can continue to grow and grow it will eventually become one of Delta's biggest songs. Its Gold on its second week! Thats impressive. And I'm sure it will at least hit Platinum so if she can get 2xPlatinum then its one of her biggest selling songs right there.

Delta's almost 10 years into her career. She's had 8 number one singles, this is her 12th Top Ten hit. She's had 3 #1 albums at a combined 23xPlatinum. Its not about how high the single hits on the charts - she's done that, she doesnt need any more to prove that she is a success. Right now, I feel the best thing for her is for her music to have life. I feel In This Life and Believe Again had life when they would be played on radio a year after they were released - thats a cool thing. I still feel Believe Again got robbed by it being released after the album was going gangbusters. I'm glad it seems they will release the second single before the album is released.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Mrslivinlife

Mrslivinlife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Wtf how did reece get to #2 when wasnt that high up on itunes chart and didnt do any instore performances how would everyone else get the single?

ONLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,530 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

Sitting on Top of the World is #2 in digital track chart (up from #3 last week), and #2 in Australian artists chart (behind Reece Mastin). Which suggests that the song has suffered in physical sales.

No one 'suffers' in physical sales. Physical sales suffers all on its own. It only becomes an impact in cases of this week and last week where artists with large local fanbases have instores or signed single offers.

I just found out Reece did a mega-instore in Tuggerah last Friday with Damien Leith and Young Men Society so that wouldve pulled in A LOT of people.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   JimJim

JimJim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
For SOTOTW, platinum is a certainty, 2x platinum is likely, 3x platinum is a push but possible, 4x platinum is rather unlikely.

If you're going to make comparions between different times periods, it is better to look at the chart run or position on the end of year sales chart, rather than just the cold hard sales. This is because the sales during the 'Innocent Eyes' era were before the singles downturn, the second and third era occured during the downturn and now her fourth era singles will be happening in a healthy market.

A good way to look at it is this - the 40th highest selling single of 2011 sold more than the 7th highest selling single of 2005. Does that mean the latter was more popular? Not neccessarily.

ONLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,530 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day" hahahaha.

Very interesting JimJim - I did not know that. However certifications were not completely justified back in 2005 - overshipping singles was frequent

Posted Image

OFFLINE   greeneyes

greeneyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
^ very interesting point JimJim you make there... it is true that things have changed so much over the last few years thanks to the digital era we live in now...

Your point about singles sales now being stronger than the albums is very important to remember this era.. it doesnt matter she hasnt had a number one this time. it is all about staying power.. it looks good for top 5 next week , tho it is early days.. for this song to be a true success , she has to spend a good chunk of may if not the whole month top 10..

OFFLINE   Martin

Martin

Unbreakable Flower

• Moderators
  • 503 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

WOW! I thought if anything the lack of Digital sales would've screwed it up. I'm so darn happy! Delta really has a great chance at sticking around in this digital era, which was my biggest fear!

spLhTxt.png

OFFLINE   FlawedImperfection

FlawedImperfection

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes

^ very interesting point JimJim you make there... it is true that things have changed so much over the last few years thanks to the digital era we live in now...

Your point about singles sales now being stronger than the albums is very important to remember this era.. it doesnt matter she hasnt had a number one this time. it is all about staying power.. it looks good for top 5 next week , tho it is early days.. for this song to be a true success , she has to spend a good chunk of may if not the whole month top 10..

I agree. These days it seems that it is not about hitting number one for one week and then falling out of the charts like before, its now about consistency. If Delta stays in the top 10 until the start of June, that will be pretty awesome.

OFFLINE   Adam :)

Adam :)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Just noticed delta has gone back up to $2.19 on iTunes!

So I stand on this hill
With my flag held high
With the will to survive
Bullets flying by
Broken hears scattered on this battlefield
Holding out for something real
I won't give up
I won't give in
I fight for hope in this
WAR ON LOVE

OFFLINE   JimJim

JimJim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
'Starships' is slightly ahead of her now that it has a video and two versions in the top 100, she's down to #6 overall on iTunes.

The SOTOTW video is #5 on the iTunes video chart.

OFFLINE   greeneyes

greeneyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

'Starships' is slightly ahead of her now that it has a video and two versions in the top 100, she's down to #6 overall on iTunes.

The SOTOTW video is #5 on the iTunes video chart.

Oh i hope she isnt edged out of the top 5.. it is too soon.. i was hoping she could at least make 5 or even hit 4 if it was going really well... still too early yet

ONLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,530 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

I dont think thats necessarily the case. I mean its close but I'm pretty sure Delta would still be above Nicki combined for this week.

I'm pretty sure the Top 5 is set in stone as I had posted before:
1. Flo Rida - Whistle
2. Carly Rae - Call Me Maybe
3. Maroon 5 - Payphone
4. Ed Sheeran - Lego House
5. Delta

I'd be surprised if I'm wrong but then again I was surprised Reece went Top 3 last week, let alone Top 2.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Adam :)

Adam :)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Lakyn from the voice has now crept up to number 3 on iTunes placing ahead of payohone, Lego house and sitting on top of the world at number 6!

So I stand on this hill
With my flag held high
With the will to survive
Bullets flying by
Broken hears scattered on this battlefield
Holding out for something real
I won't give up
I won't give in
I fight for hope in this
WAR ON LOVE

ONLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,530 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
^ That wont affect this weeks position as the chart calculates from Friday to Thursday and I doubt from this Friday to next Thursday that it'll stay ahead of Delta...

Posted Image

ONLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,530 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Whilst I think/hope Delta will be #5 for this week - the signs of Florence + Nicki jumping Delta even tonight are clear.

I'm shocked Delta has only put one week of promotion in for the single - when shes been in the country the whole time. Why not a TODAY show performance? An A Current Affair or 60 Minutes interview? If she was trying to protect her overexposure I'd be all for it, but her Swisse endorsement does not show this...

EDIT: Or not... DigitalSalesData is inaccurate...

Posted Image

OFFLINE   dj030892

dj030892

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I can't help but think that the song will only be going down from here, unless she does some promotion to get people interested again.

ONLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,530 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Well Airplay is on the rise so she might have a chance? But I dont understand why Delta's team have seemingly done nothing since the Garden City instore. Too much hope on first week sales perhaps? Anyways...

Lego House is holding on so strongly because of Ed Sheeran tickets going on sale (which I foolishly missed out on) but Delta may overtake it and hopefully Florence can fuck off soon enough (haha). But maybe not since this song is growing heaps on radio...

Big Jet Plane is still rising - #3! So impressive. Carly Rae is in Sydney today but unless she does something big like perform on Dancing With The Stars, I dont think its going to have much impact and her long run on the charts is sure to slow down next week or the week after. Would be great if Big Jet Plane can somehow overtake it and its position at #3 leading to a further downfall.

Whistle + Payphone will continue to rise. Great new songs which are sure to do great on radio.

Then theres the songs that I dont even know are coming that will make a great impact. For Delta's sake I hope theres not many.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users