Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr Google+ Soundcloud iTunes RSS Contact Us
Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Welcome to Delta Goodrem's Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

'Sitting On Top Of The World' confirmed as new single + cover

Sitting On Top Of The World

• Please log in to reply
1291 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   bare_hands

bare_hands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
yay tomorrow is the day :) looking forward to hearing it :)

OFFLINE   rachelm

rachelm

starlight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Can't wait to hear the full song!! Already know I'm gonna love it!

tumblr_mdy28gi4sp1r3qj73o4_500.gif

OFFLINE   Kade

Kade

Regina Phalange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
any idea what radio station will premiere it first and time?

nk93QbA.png

OFFLINE   Paddyl90

Paddyl90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I'm tipping any of the 2day FM networks in your state. Anywhere after news breaks after 7. Surely they'll have to make an announcement of some sort before they play it. As little as it maybe...

Edited by Paddyl90, 04 April 2012 - 07:47 PM.

eb979414-4f14-4146-b909-21bfdcdbe2b6_zps

@paddyl90 love this!!!! So sweet!! Happy anniversary ha!! Thanku for ur appreciation and I appreciate your love and support xxx " - August 9th, 2013

OFFLINE   claire lou

claire lou

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 1,216 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
I would imagine it'll get a play between 7am and 8am. :)

OFFLINE   CielNocturne

CielNocturne

lion hearted girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Totally counting on you guys to record it for the overseas people, haha ;D

tumblr_mjnpyvhkSl1qeo225o1_400.png
"All I got is this heart that I am willing to lose, I know in this life - I give it everything."

"Found a girl inside of me that I've been missing for so long, told her I that I'd never leave."

"Just when I stopped looking I saw just how far I'd come - in this life."

"One day, we won't exist, and all the hurt will turn to dust

It is easier to shut down than to open up to trust."

OFFLINE   iDanJ

iDanJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Just over 9 hours to go until the radio premiere!! XD

Have to admit, kinda bummed I can't purchase eit digitally on the day...cos i know I'm gonna wanna play it over and over!!

OFFLINE   Kade

Kade

Regina Phalange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes

Just over 9 hours to go until the radio premiere!! XD

Have to admit, kinda bummed I can't purchase eit digitally on the day...cos i know I'm gonna wanna play it over and over!!

hopefully someone will rip it!

nk93QbA.png

OFFLINE   violetion

violetion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
It actually really doesn't make much sense to release the song to purchase so long after it gets put on to radio. Or is this common practice in the music industry? I actually have no idea. But it feels like they waste an opportunity to make money by not taking advantage of the immediate buzz from releasing the song to radio.

Edited by violetion, 04 April 2012 - 10:31 PM.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   CielNocturne

CielNocturne

lion hearted girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I have no idea, I usually don't listen to the radio very often lol But I remember that you could buy Birdy's single before it was on the radio o.O

tumblr_mjnpyvhkSl1qeo225o1_400.png
"All I got is this heart that I am willing to lose, I know in this life - I give it everything."

"Found a girl inside of me that I've been missing for so long, told her I that I'd never leave."

"Just when I stopped looking I saw just how far I'd come - in this life."

"One day, we won't exist, and all the hurt will turn to dust

It is easier to shut down than to open up to trust."

OFFLINE   Krystie

Krystie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

It actually really doesn't make much sense to release the song to purchase so long after it gets put on to radio. Or is this common practice in the music industry? I actually have no idea. But it feels like they waste an opportunity to make money by not taking advantage of the immediate buzz from releasing the song to radio.

Violetion; I actually joined to say exactly this. This is completely unusual and surprising and now to
hear Artin say that they are not including the b-side on downloads? I'm shocked even more! Delta's digital downloads have always been weak, and if Delta is going to keep up and stay current then they need to wise up. Let's face it, Delta has probably lost some fans; it's been a long time since Delta released music and the industry has changed - her audience that 5 years ago were buying physical CDs are now well up to speed with digital downloads; iPhones have been released, we have digital music 24/7 on several devices. This first single needs to be about getting as many peoples attention as quickly and easily as possible. When the song is released to radio tomorrow, and it captures someone's attention; they need to be able to download as quickly and easily as possible. If they can't get it straightaway - they will either a) forget about it or B) dig around until they do find it. Free. Illegally. Bye-bye sale!

Delta needs to do what most artists do these days; she can't be frustrating to support. And in regards to the B-side - they are designed to be a teaser for the album - if you don't upload the song to iTunes your Joe Bloggs who just happens to double click on that 10sec sample on iTunes won't hear it - and they may not give the album a go thinking "oh I only like 1 song".

In regards to the video, i can't help but feel that there's something were missing and that it all will make sense when we see the full thing - I don't know, it just feels like its over the top cheesy on purpose and the part we've seen is just a part of a storyline. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. From hearing that short part of a verse I think they'll be piano in there and it will just build up to what we've heard.

I will admit one thing though - that song is catchy and that's not a bad thing!

OFFLINE   Future_JD

Future_JD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta

Totally counting on you guys to record it for the overseas people, haha ;D

I downloaded the 2day FM app on Itunes, and if that didn't work I think you can stream it online as well.

I found the girl inside of me that I've been missing for so long.

I told her that I'd never leave...

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,676 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

You are completely right. Most singers release the song straight away - but thats for two main reasons and I'll explain why Delta's team are doing the right thing as weird as it seems.

1) Delta is not a huge international star with pop hit making abilities.

I say this in the nicest way. Lets see the type of artists that rock straight up to #1 on release.

Gaga, Rihanna, Britney, Justin Bieber. There is only a very select calibre of artists who can sell well straight away.
And theres so many artists that it doesnt work for - and I am talking about not just the iTunes release but the debut song of an album in general.

Kylie Minogue - All The Lovers, Beyonce - Run The World, Jessica Mauboy - Get Em Girls, Madonna - Give Me All Your Luvin'.
None of those songs hit the Top Ten on debut. And theres probably heaps of other better examples I just cant think of.

My point is that for her song to do well, there must be a lot of hype around it.
Delta isnt a traditional pop hitmaker - shes better off at ballads and shifting albums rather than making hit songs like Rihanna.
Doing a straight-to-release for Delta doesnt give the song maximum potential in leading up to success.

2) Another reason to release a song straight away is to GET IT OUT THERE.
As you were saying its really good to just take advantage of the immediate buzz and the type of song that gets an immediate release thtat takes its time to get heard and shared around and climb on airplay charts and has video released later on is the type of song that stays around for months and has already knocked up Gold status when it finally reaches the Top Five. These songs are approved by the general public and I respect them because they grow because they are good songs.

And I'm sure if Deltas song was released last week it wouldve went to Top 5 on the first day and then fizzled off until it picked up on radio, video was released, instores, yada yada. Baut the fact is that it wont be as strong as it would with the Voice and Logies performance. These huge promotional opportunities will do wonders for Delta and its a very nice way of re-introducing her to Australia again.

It probably would've been better if they did the radio and video release on say like Tuesday April 10, 3 days before the single release cause those who would wanna rip it would be like 'oh we'll just get the high quality version in 3 days' and just keep watching the video. But this is a whole week before hand.

Why is the radio release date on Thursday April 5? Cause thats when radio week starts allowing for her "#1 Most Added" streak to continue which I believe it undoubtedly will. Radio is obviously very important in getting the public exposed to music as they dont really have a choice to what they are hearing so this will be good hype for the song.

Why is the release on Friday April 13? I dont know. I was under the impression that the ARIA week is calculated from Saturday to Friday but Delta's team would be wise to not do an instore aimed at selling as many physical singles when they only as one day of the charting week. So perhaps the charting week is now from Friday to Thursday? But I doubt that. Who knows.

It actually really doesn't make much sense to release the song to purchase so long after it ges put on to radio. Or is this common practice in the music industry? I actually have no idea. But it feels like they waste an opportunity to make money by not taking advantage of the immediate buzz from releasing the song to radio.

Violetion; I actually joined to say exactly this. This is completely unusual and surprising and now to
hear Artin say that they are not including the b-side on downloads? I'm shocked even more! Delta's digital downloads have always been weak, and if Delta is going to keep up and stay current then they need to wise up. Let's face it, Delta has probably lost some fans; it's been a long time since Delta released music and the industry has changed - her audience that 5 years ago were buying physical CDs are now well up to speed with digital downloads; iPhones have been released, we have digital music 24/7 on several devices. This first single needs to be about getting as many peoples attention as quickly and easily as possible. When the song is released to radio tomorrow, and it captures someone's attention; they need to be able to download as quickly and easily as possible. If they can't get it straightaway - they will either a) forget about it or B) dig around until they do find it. Free. Illegally. Bye-bye sale!

Delta needs to do what most artists do these days; she can't be frustrating to support. And in regards to the B-side - they are designed to be a teaser for the album - if you don't upload the song to iTunes your Joe Bloggs who just happens to double click on that 10sec sample on iTunes won't hear it - and they may not give the album a go thinking "oh I only like 1 song".

In regards to the video, i can't help but feel that there's something were missing and that it all will make sense when we see the full thing - I don't know, it just feels like its over the top cheesy on purpose and the part we've seen is just a part of a storyline. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. From hearing that short part of a verse I think they'll be piano in there and it will just build up to what we've heard.

I will admit one thing though - that song is catchy and that's not a bad thing!

OMG KRYSTIE!!!! I've missed you darling :) as always i am going to disagree with you but I have my reasons!

You were completely right about the changing digital market - everyone knows how to download legally even if they download illegally.

However I dont feel people are going to simply not wanna download the song next week. The video is out on Friday and if they like they song they'll look it up, can watch the video and if they still like it then they'll get it whichever way they can. The easiest way would be to download the legal version considering ripping it will lose some quality and any exposed link would be removed by Sony anyway (trust me they can get on top of that shit :) ).

B-sides aren't necessarily a teaser for an album. I mean listen to 'Unsure' and you know that Delta would never have considered that to be a track for the album but offered it as an insight to the person she is, how she feels about her everyday life and it was so amazing because I connect to that song massively and I wouldnt of had the opportunity otherwise cause it was never strong enough to hold its own as an album track.

But I love that they are making that B-side physically only. It gives people a legit reason to get both the digital and the physical which of course counts for two units considering there will be a different b-side for the digital release. The way they offer digital bundles however annoys me. For instance, they could do a 'SOTOTW' bundle which has the song, a b-side, a remix, a live version of im not ready, the video clip. They could make a really attractive looking bundle and they could offer it at a cheap price. and if they buy the whole bundle then it counts as one unit. however if they JUST download the b-side or whatever, it doesnt count as a unit. because if you were to buy the 4 individual non-SOTOTW tracks, they would not count 4 times they would count 0 times. AND on top of that, if they do buy the bundle -> where does it go on the iTunes charts? Under albums. So by buying a bundle they are essentially minimising its impact on the 'Songs' chart which is the most important factor in determining the success of a song. If a song is already doing well on iTunes it has a much greater of chance of continuing to do better.

--> A popular way of giving the fans what they want is to purely just release the single as one individual track for the first 2-3 weeks and then releasing an EP (e.g. SOTOTW EP) with the bundle which would work well because they've already got the peak out of the way.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Artin

Artin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,865 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Yes, The charting week is now Friday to Thursday. Changed to that some time ago when the decision was made to release on Friday and not Saturday anymore. Don't you remember the BA DVD being released on Friday September 18, 2009 and trying to get everyone to bugs before Thursday night for #1 debut.

Artin
My signature is awesome.

OFFLINE   FairyCuddle

FairyCuddle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,778 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
For non Aussie fans, does anyone know which radio station is best to listen in live to for the debut?

Michelle xx

xo.jpg
Delta: Thank you for everything - I will always support you.
27:10:2004 / 22:01:2005

OFFLINE   Artin

Artin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,865 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
^ I'd say 2dayFM would be good.

Artin
My signature is awesome.

OFFLINE   FairyCuddle

FairyCuddle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,778 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
^Thank you! 6 hours to go! :D

xo.jpg
Delta: Thank you for everything - I will always support you.
27:10:2004 / 22:01:2005

OFFLINE   bryndavis

bryndavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
So excited!!!!!!!!!!!! Artin, will you be ripping the song and putting it on Delta Daily at all? Or will it be on Delta's official page? Just in case I miss it and fall asleep lol!

OFFLINE   Artin

Artin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,865 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe

So excited!!!!!!!!!!!! Artin, will you be ripping the song and putting it on Delta Daily at all? Or will it be on Delta's official page? Just in case I miss it and fall asleep lol!

I was actually going to sleep in because I've already heard the song lol and since there's no special premiere, I don't see the point. Sony won't be uploading the full audio, but I'm sure someone else will. I won't because I'm working with Sony on DD now and it will look bad for me to rip and upload. As I said, I'm sure someone else will and I can link to that lol.

Artin
My signature is awesome.

OFFLINE   Artin

Artin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,865 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Actually, I might get up and record anyway. Just in case :P

Artin
My signature is awesome.