Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr Google+ Soundcloud iTunes RSS Contact Us
Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Welcome to Delta Goodrem's Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Delta signs with Marc Jordan's Rebel One management

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   kyky

kyky

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 185 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
I'm sure Channel 9 would expect the 'exclusives'... but it is in their interest to let them be on other shows too, as well as in Delta's interest. Cheryl Cole did the same when she was on X-Factor and promoting her albums.
I am very excited that in 2 months time we could have new Delta music in our lives and with this new manager we can only hope this will be a worldwide album release - and we can have Delta dominating the charts in AUS, USA and UK.
I don't think the album will be RnB, she may be trying out a different sound but I don't think she's abandoned the piano.

Posted Image

Follow me -

@ky_kystealey

OFFLINE   FlawedPrincess_94

FlawedPrincess_94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I'm so happy to hear that she has found herself a new manager!

OFFLINE   xx_Vness_xx

xx_Vness_xx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Yayy that's so exciting !! :D
Posted Image

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,752 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I've done a bit of research on Marc Jordan to get an idea of how he may manage Delta and launch her worldwide.

“We were always looking for the right beauty endorsement,” says Rebel One Management’s Marc Jordan, who, along with Christa Shaub, oversees Rihanna’s career. “But the timing had to be right . . . CoverGirl gets a hot artist who could potentially boost their sales well into the future. Rihanna, meanwhile, will be introduced to people who may not be aware of her. They have a new product. We have a new album. We all benefit.” Jordan says Rihanna—who has, in less than two years, partnered with JCPenney, Nike, Fuzed, the Barbados Tourism Board and others—bases her endorsement deal decisions not on money, but on relationships and potential exposure.

I definitely think Delta should not do any endorsements, she did too many in 2009 and its just so unwise for her to do it in Australia where pretty much everyone does know her name, whereas Rihanna was just getting big in the States (Umbrella cemented her as an artist there). However I am all for the right international endorsement deal which will suitably expose Delta and her music as this particular Rihanna partnership did - it showed the artist name, song and album name in the one advertisement.

According to Willliams, Marc Jordan, manager and owner of Rebel One Management has been taking care of Rihanna's financial situation with her. "Def Jam doesn't fund Rihanna properly, so Marc uses the money Rihanna makes from third-party endorsements and from tours to fund her album and music videos.

"I don't want to disrespect Marc's name. He is a fantastic manager and genuinely believes in Rihanna. But he uses her money to fund her future projects because he believes he can break her in the world-market. Her album sales are not nearly as close to her single sales and he knows that if she is only known as a 'singles artist' she will only be as good as her last hit. Unfortunately, he didn't inform his client and I'm receiving the brunt of it."

"Her record label Def Jam has put out 3 albums in a time span of 2 years. A lot of that was orchestrated through her management Rebel One. It was never Def Jam's intention to release so many albums back-to-back but Marc Jordan found loop holes and ways to make it happen. A lot of the money Rihanna made through her endorsements between Cover Girl Cosmetics, Samsung... Notice that majority of Rihanna's videos have a cell phone in it?

[Explains success of Jordan's use of money]

• "After the release of Rihanna and Teairra Mari, Def Jam had intention to drop both acts because their album sales were not successful. Her manager fought to get [S.O.S (Rescue Me)] and quickly tried to negotiate with as many companies as possible. Nike picked up the song and funded a video. This brought the hype back for Rihanna in the company's New York office. The majority of the official 'S.O.S' video was funded by Samsung because the record label was only willing to put up a small amount. "Once 'S.O.S' picked up digitally and at radio, Def Jam agreed to fund the rest of her album. Jordan instantly got a video shot to 'Unfaithful' (he negotiated with video director Anthony Mandler to drop his price and would be given more videos from Rihanna in return). Then they shot 'We Ride,' which was an extremely cheap video to create. 'Break It Off' was released as a third single, but again, Def Jam was unhappy with the sales of her album 'A Girl Like Me' and refused to shoot a video. "At this point Rihanna was opening up for the Pussycat Dolls in Europe. She was making $30,000 a show but she didn't see any of that money because it was needed to fund her next album, which is now known to the greater public as 'Good Girl Gone Bad.'
"The song 'Umbrella' was found & Jordan fought again for Rihanna to have it. They shot the video, which Cover Girl funded half of, and the song became a success. When the record label had their meeting with Music Stores across the U.S to order her album for shipment, the numbers weren't coming in the way that they expected. When the album's first week numbers came in at less than 150,000, the label was shocked. Def Jam's President LA Reid was livid! Umbrella was #1 for 11 weeks! Any other artist would have sold way more first week. T-Pain even did better in sales than her that week. Def Jam told Jordan they were no longer funding the album, so Jordan needed money again to pay for music videos 'Shut Up & Drive' and 'Don't Stop The Music.' Almost 250,000 was spent to have those videos created, plus an additional 120,000 to shoot 'Hate That I Love You.' Jordan was noticing that 'Don't Stop The Music' was picking up, so her persuaded the label to support it at radio in the U.S and the remaining singles, and they did.

"Then came for the repackaging of her album 'Good Girl Gone Bad,' which is called 'Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded,' that entire project was funded through Rihanna's money. 'Take A Bow' was bought through her money, the video was created with her money and so is her most recent video and single 'Disturbia.' The label didn't even want to pay a dime for anything! Close to 750,000 was spent on those two songs alone. And now she expects to see money in her account?"

Williams states that Jordan, her publicist from well-respected public relations firm 42-West, Alicia Silverman has built a lot of hype around Rihanna's name but the singer has only made "a little bit above a million" and "all of it was spent on making her as big as she is now. It's not my fault that she only has 20,000 to her name."

I just thought I'd point out that the reason why Marc Jordan gets Rihanna to release so many singles is because her albums don't do that well and she needs to put faith behind her singles to do well - and clearly it has paid off. This gets me excited, Jordan put so much faith behind her. Everything he did seems so risky but because he believed in Rihanna's ability to have hit singles, this is why she is still around today with more hit singles than any other artist annually.

Clearly this is not the case for Delta. I mean, it'd be great if Delta's singles did anywhere near as well as Rihannas, but bar the Innocent Eyes Era we can see that due to the failure of singles* such as Mistaken Identity, A Little Too Late, You Will Only Break My Heart and I Can't Break It To My Heart - it is safe to say that Delta is an albums artist. Which is by far the better option in terms of being able to tour to large crowds and have a sustainable fan base. I honestly feel like Delta will crack the US as an album artist with a few singles which do okay, I couldn't see her being the type of artist which has singles in the Top 50 on Billboard. Unless she breaks through in this once-in-a-lifetime way like Adele or Shania Twain or Celine Dion, she will survive as an album artist which is great and will allow her to tour in the States and go on all the big TV shows and do very well.

I hope this is Delta's goal because it sets her attitude long term and sustainable for her entire career as opposed to 'putting all your eggs in one basket' with the risk of failure, as those who follow Kylie's career could connect to her 'All I See' campaign. She released a single with a rapper, which didnt suit the beautiful song at all. She did a few very high profile TV spots, Dancing With The Stars, a late night show and something else, and the song and album failed - because she tried to aim for a one-off single doing well and it did not do anything. Luckily for her she committed her time a year later and did a tour and her subsequent album did well but the reason she could do such a tour is because of her status internationally for over 15 years and so thats what thats about.

I'd love to hear everyone elses opinions on Marc Jordan.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,752 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I had an asterik on singles to explain that whilst those four singles peaked well enough (Top 15 is quite respectable), generally they dropped off after a couple of weeks and did not do well on radio. A song that peaks at 20 but sells well over a long time is much more of a success than a single that peaks at #7 for one week and goes unknown to the general public.

Im hoping Deltas first single is a grower. Of course there will be massive initial interest in her first single in 4-5 years which may spike the single on iTunes for the first few days, I think it'd be best if the single spent maximum amount of time on the charts, doing various things. E.g. Release to radio and iTunes the same day so only the hardcore people get on to it straight away. Then after a week or two release the video which should be one of, if not the best, music videos shes ever released. This would get music lovers and social media talking, e.g. people posting on facebook how much they love the song or the video or something about the video. Then the song could be mass promoted and featured on The Voice commercial before the show starts which would really bring the single into the Top Five on iTunes and at this stage it should already be nearing Platinum. The mass promotion would probably last three full weeks on Nine preceding the airing of The Voice which would be extremely beneficial for the single in getting exposed to the general public. Hopefully Delta will be able to perform at the Logies which could be her big debut performance on April 15 and where the single should be doing very well, perhaps even 3xPlatinum. From this point Delta can get into mass promotion; radio, newspapers, online and on TV (yes Johnson, I do believe Nine will allow Delta to perform on shows like Sunrise). If the first single is still continuing to grow she can keep performing the first single, however if it did better than expected, she can launch and release the second single which should do very well off the back of a successful first single. I believe Delta should release the album in perhaps the third or fourth week of the Voice as this would increase her exposure massively and would do well. The third single can be performed when the live shows are on, perhaps in July. When the show is wrapped up she can do an instore that requires people to have the current album to meet her as a signing for a single is pointless nowadays. It will not guarantee success for the song, as it used to, and it is financially and career-wise better to encourage further album sales at a time when it may slack off as she is expected to use the majority of her time internationally when The Voice finishes.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users