Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr Google+ Soundcloud iTunes RSS Contact Us
Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Welcome to Delta Goodrem's Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How Nick's Love Saved Her Life - J-14 Mag <Merged>

this article is bs J-14 Magazine

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   x_LastNightOnEarth_x

x_LastNightOnEarth_x

Done with all your bitchcraft.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I saw on twitter that Delta was in J-14 with Nick, so I went out and bought it today. It's a really horrible untrue article, but I have it anyway, lol. I have a problem when people compare Delta's cancer to Nick's diabetes...they are not even CLOSE to being of the same severity. And what bs about Nick and Delta both having second chances at life...DELTA did. While Nick does have an illness that I feel bad that anyone has to fight, it does NOT come close to cancer. Just to clarify, it only bothers me because they always make Nick out to be a hero when so many other people are fighting the same thing he is. I understand that it's hard, but I just don't understand why he's some superhero when others do what he does and get no recognition for their fight.

I'll scan it tomorrow, but for now, I'll type it up.

A crippling disease made Delta lose her hair, eyelashes, and confidence...how Nick's love saved her life

At age 18, pop singer Delta Goodrem had the number one album and single in her home country of Australia and was on her way to becoming an international superstar. But instead of fighting her way up the charts, she found herself fighting for her life after discovering a dangerous lump in her throat.

While Delta was doing sit-ups one day in July 2003, she suddenly felt something pop in her neck. "I reached down and I felt a small lump at the base of my throat," Delta says. "It wasn't sore, it wasn't visible, but I could feel it."

That little lump turned out to be a sign of Hodgkin's lymphoma, a type of life-threatening cancer that weakens the immune system. Over the next few months, Delta's health and confidence quickly plummeted as the treatents that worked to save her life also made her body look "sallow" and "skeletal." Even worse, the rounds of chemotherapy and radiation made her lose her hair. "I only had little tufts of hair left, which were going grey," Delta says. "I had no eyelashes or eyebrows...I felt very unattractive."

After a year-long battle, Delta was able to beat the disease - but even though her body recovered, she was changed forever.

Finding strength in Nick

Delta was left with the constant fear that cancer could come back at any moment and take over her life again. But when she met Nick Jonas while recording music in LA this March, all of the doubts that she had been harboring finally melted away. Nick knows what it's like to live with health issues that make the future uncertain. "I didn't now if I was going to die," Nick says of being diagnosed with diabetes at age 13.

With Nick, Delta finally found someone she could lean on who understood her pain and her new outlook on life. And just as Nick hoped to "inspire people" with his Change for the Children Foundation, Delta created her own charity tied to her illness called The Delta Goodrem Leukemia and Lymphoma Trust Fund. "Having survived, I feel it is my responsibility to live my life to the fullest and give others hope," Delta says.

Despite their eight-year age gap, Nick and Delta's mutual struggles and shared dreams of helping others have made their love for rach other - and their second chance at life - grown stronger than ever. "I'm one of the lucky ones," Delta says. "I'm just really blessed," Nick echoed.

Edited by x_LastNightOnEarth_x, 10 August 2011 - 12:49 PM.

AMPY2BF.png

where tired cliches won't let us fall asleep.

OFFLINE   musiqfan

musiqfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
Nick's diabetes was pretty serious though. While once it is discovered it can be treated, when he was diagnosed his blood sugar was near fatal levels. He's spoken many times about how the doctors told him if he'd waited even a week more, he more than likely could have slipped into a coma and died.

I know diabetes can be managed, but it does seriously affect your life. Even if you stay on top of it and manage it, you're going to have a lower life expectancy than if you didn't have it just because it does damage things like your circulatory system, And you never get a break from it--there's no remission. Even a single moment of inattention to it can cause you serious problems.

OFFLINE   MissToastie

MissToastie

Claire Voyant.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
LOL IRL At the article. Nick saving Delta's life? lol irl lol irl lol irl.

2cfz51j.gif

OFFLINE   x_LastNightOnEarth_x

x_LastNightOnEarth_x

Done with all your bitchcraft.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

Nick's diabetes was pretty serious though. While once it is discovered it can be treated, when he was diagnosed his blood sugar was near fatal levels. He's spoken many times about how the doctors told him if he'd waited even a week more, he more than likely could have slipped into a coma and died.

I know diabetes can be managed, but it does seriously affect your life. Even if you stay on top of it and manage it, you're going to have a lower life expectancy than if you didn't have it just because it does damage things like your circulatory system, And you never get a break from it--there's no remission. Even a single moment of inattention to it can cause you serious problems.

Right, and I understand this, but this article makes Nick out to be a hero because of it. Many people do what he does each day and aren't considered in high regard for it. It just annoys me because of that.

AMPY2BF.png

where tired cliches won't let us fall asleep.

OFFLINE   Brittney

Brittney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
WOW. They just took facts out of a hat and pasted them together didn't they?
Is it just me or does that article make it sound like Nick is the first real relationship she's had since she had cancer?

s246_zps0c7ab1a4.jpg

I'm mostly here.

OFFLINE   musiqfan

musiqfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Right, and I understand this, but this article makes Nick out to be a hero because of it. Many people do what he does each day and aren't considered in high regard for it. It just annoys me because of that.

For adults, what Nick does probably isn't that big of a deal, but for kids it is. That's what people hold him in high regard for.

My nephew was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 7 years old. Nick is one of his heroes, because he likes to imagine he too could be a rock star, and seeing Nick up on stage running around and not letting his diabetes affect what he wants to do with his life has provided lots of inspiration. It's hard to explain when most people think all diabetes is is taking a shot and avoiding sugar. It's really a LOT more complex than that. Monitoring not only everything that you eat but your exercise levels, and how that affects your blood sugar, etc. My nephew used to have a really hard time with that, going outside and playing too hard would send him into a tailspin low. Seeing Nick running around playing a whole concert and things like that really showed him he could do those things too. He got the opportunity to meet Nick last summer, and just Nick talking to him about some of the issues he has and how he deals with it really helped my nephew deal with some of the ups and down. Just cause Nick's been there and he gets it.

I'm not saying this article isn't bonkers, because it is. If anything Delta probably helped Nick more. There was an interview in one of the diabetes magazines my sister gets with Nick a few months ago and he mentioned his diabetes had negatively affected some of his romantic relationships because the girls couldn't understand or deal with some of the stuff that comes with diabetes (like mood swings. Oh, the mood swings!) Having been through a health issue herself, Delta is probably a little more understanding of those things.

And it's J-14. They aren't exactly winning any journalism awards. :)

OFFLINE   Artin

Artin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,898 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Such a horrible article. I couldn't believe it when I saw it on Twitter. And all the Nick fans are like OMG NICK IS AMAZING!!!!!11111111

Artin
My signature is awesome.

OFFLINE   Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe

. I couldn't believe it when I saw it on Twitter. And all the Nick fans are like OMG NICK IS AMAZING!!!!!11111111

Artin

:lol:

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Miss Jahan

Miss Jahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
LOL ***facepalm***

OFFLINE   DGoodremGeek

DGoodremGeek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes

LOL ***facepalm***

What a stupid article.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

check out my....
Delta Blog | Twitter | Youtube

OFFLINE   DeltaFan

DeltaFan

Graphics Maker/Obsessive Moonie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
They should get their facts right :rolleyes:

Here im standing in the night my crescent wand the only light

Posted Image

^ gif not by me :P

OFFLINE   Kade

Kade

Regina Phalange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
i can NOT Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

nk93QbA.png

OFFLINE   tracey.

tracey.

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 43 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
That is a terrible article!

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Eissa

Eissa

Head Bitch In Charge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Oh psh. Delta found a steady baby-sitting job in a tough economy, especially when she's not releasing music. That is all. Everybody rejoice.

OFFLINE   silentscreamv

silentscreamv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta
It's like Brian never existed

Edited by silentscreamv, 10 August 2011 - 05:33 PM.

Thank You Sohan

Posted Image

@silentscreamv

OFFLINE   Kade

Kade

Regina Phalange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes

Oh psh. Delta found a steady baby-sitting job in a tough economy, especially when she's not releasing music. That is all. Everybody rejoice.

Posted Image She's gotta pay the bills somehow.

nk93QbA.png

OFFLINE   tracey.

tracey.

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 43 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes

:lol: Best post of the day!

Posted Image

OFFLINE   In_This_Life

In_This_Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe

:lol: Best post of the day!

:D Deffinetly

OFFLINE   FairyCuddle

FairyCuddle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,022 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Haha well thank goodness for Nick he saved Delta!

xo.jpg
Delta: Thank you for everything - I will always support you.
27:10:2004 / 22:01:2005

OFFLINE   Sohan

Sohan

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 321 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Way to put words into Delta's mouth!

sohan . 19 . sydney // Here-I-Am027 from DGOF

tweet tweet . blog . tumblr . linkedin . the sohan and marni show
Posted Image