Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr Google+ Soundcloud iTunes RSS Contact Us
Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Welcome to Delta Goodrem's Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Aus singers' earnings?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   andy.987

andy.987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
I've always been curious as to how much Australian singers and artists earn when you factor everything in..

I know the major international artists would be making millions, but what about Australian singers like Guy, Jess, Delta etc?

:P

OFFLINE   Walshy

Walshy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta
i reckon close to a million a year at a guess?
Posted Image

OFFLINE   andy.987

andy.987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Hmm that's interesting haha.

Anyone else?

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,708 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Well the majority of Guy's income would be from the X Factor, and Delta would be the same with The Voice. At the very least those contracts would be $750K. Guy's would probably be a million since the show is now in its third season and if the show needs him to stay on cause they need an Australian on there for it to feel 'Australian' and he's really successful here which Nat is not. I remember hearing that The Voice coaches are expected to have their pay doubled to stay on next season, so Delta may be getting 1.5m from doing The Voice alone. Definitely worth the 6 weeks of live shows and 2 weeks of filming Blind Audition + Battle Rounds.

I believe Delta was desperate for the opportunity in that simply being on The Voice did wonders for her career here. Simply for doing one season of The Voice, she will be hot property for next 3 years here. Of course though she's gonna back it up with music. Whereas the X Factor is more about the TV show, The Voice is more about the music. Thats why all the coaches sing, and their songs dominate iTunes whereas X Factor is about trying to get most ratings - getting international guests to sing and in the Boot Camp stages for the purpose of being a face without actually giving real guidance whereas The Voice - they mentored them and helped decide who went through Battle Rounds. The Voice is more credible than the X Factor and theres a real sense of 'these contestants are artists and they will have a career' whereas on X Factor its like theyve got a long way to go.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,708 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
You've made me really interested in knowing now haha. I think it goes without saying that as purely a musician you dont make much money at all - in Australia at least. I mean if you break through in America like Gotye has - not only is he getting money from people downloading his music and the touring but being on radio gets you tons in royalties and if it wasnt for that, he wouldnt be making that much money. If he wasnt touring, he'd still have to be working very hard whereas now he never has to write a hit single again to tour the rest of his life. He's set for life, career-wise and financially.

Looking at the Australian BRW 'Top 50 Entertainers' lists - Delta was #16 in 2004 which is amazing, with $5.6 million but that would've been from sales of Innocent Eyes + Mistaken Identity. BECAUSE SHE WROTE THE MAJORITY OF THE ALBUM. If you dont have writing credits, you're screwed pretty much. Also includes 6 singles doing very well on Australian radio (royalties!) and success over the world (e.g. 2xPlatinum album sales in the UK). She even came close to consistently highest selling Australian musician Kylie Minogue with $6m in 2004.

But from 2008-2011 - Delta's not in any of them and I dont think she was there in 2007 either.

Dannii Minogue does consistently well cause she did the UK X Factor + Australia's Got Talent as well as an international fashion label. She has not released a hit single in Australia for like a decade however. Kylie does well all the time cause she's a huge live act in Europe (bless!) and Keith in the US. Peter Andre earns a lot, probably cause of magazine deals and perhaps reality TV. I dont know, I dont care.

If you break through overseas, you'll make the BRW Top 50 entertainers list - as Temper Trap, Jet, Human Nature (Motown) have.

Guy made 2M in 2010 making him #47 which would have been because of X Factor, touring a lot and having hit single + album. But perhaps also magazine deals too? Musicians really dont make much money.

Jess would not be making much money at all. Especially since she forked out so much for all the guest rappers on her last album.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   andy.987

andy.987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Interesting take on it Brad! Delta's 2004 income is impressive, never knew that writing credits were so important..

Particularly curious about Jess though - I thought she'd be making a fair bit, I read that her and Stan were paid $65k for a small gig/concert which is pretty good. Do you know how much it would've costed for each of the guest rapper featurings? Hopefully she's smarter with the next album!!

OFFLINE   andy.987

andy.987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Also anyone got any idea how much the guest performers are paid on shows like X Factor?

OFFLINE   JimJim

JimJim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
I'd put it this way:
- Big album sales will generally produce higher revenue than a string of hit singles (the record label gets about $8 from every album sold)
- Moderate sales internationally will most likely produce higher revenue than good sales in Australia
- Touring is where the $$$ is these days, so if you can play arenas or stadiums, you're probably amongst the high earners.

Delta also has revenue from endorsements, being the face of certain products etc. etc. which can be quite lucrative.

I think Ricki-Lee is a good example of how mysterious it can be, she has only moderate single success, no overseas profile, can't pull off a major tour and has little to no album sales. She isn't making money from her music, yet she is bringing in the cash somehow.

OFFLINE   FABIO

FABIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta
^ do you think she got a bit of $$$ from being on the sex and the city movie soundtrack? Young divas? And magazine covers?? Also getting signed to ministry of sound in the Uk when they released her cant touch it remix... ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users