Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr Google+ Soundcloud iTunes RSS Contact Us
Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Welcome to Delta Goodrem's Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Battle for Gay Marriage in North Carolina

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Tyler

Tyler

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 418 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
I know this doesn't really pertain to most on this forum, but I thought many would like to read the post I made about the Amendment One that people will be voting on to determine is Gay Marriage will be banned in North Carolina.

"I know I haven't been active on my blog in some time, but this is a topic that I think cannot be ignored. Tomorrow the Battle of North Carolina begins. What is this, you ask? It is my title for the primary voting that will take place tomorrow statewide. And not only voting for people to represent us in the community, but also a piece of legislation that could forever alter the future of the state. I am talking about the controversial Amendment One, which will define marriage between one man and one woman. This would ban any chance of legal same-sex marriage, or any civil unions or partnerships. This has created verbal warefare between everyone living in this state. And it has shown where established institutions stand such as religious congregations and state representatives. But people are speaking out agains this, fearing that if this would bring more consequences than planned.

Millions of dollars on each side have been spent to express their views. And the exposure of this debate has created a nationwide question, "Are we ready to accept Same-Sex couples as a legal form of marriage?"

Of course you know my views on this, and how I will be voting tomorrow, basing it on my past posts. In modern society, marriage doesn't need to be defined between one man and one woman. I have taken a Sociology course, and people go against Same-Sex marriage because it interferes with the Funcionalism theory, which is the belief that parts such as reproduction, marriage, parenting, schools, governments, and religion are the organs to our functioning society. And many claim that gay marriage remove the reproduction and marriage, therefore destroying our society. But I highly disagree with this. While Same-Sex couples cannot reproduce in a conventional way, they use methods that are popular not only with them, but also with heterosexual couples. And if they were granted marriage, they could carry out their intended role in society just as well as if they were straight.

This isn't the first time this debate has come about. This has been a heated topic for years, but opinions finally turning now in favor of these couples that deserve the right to marry as much as anyone else. States are finally getting their act together and making marriage legal. But the south is harder to make this a reality. But North Carolina is the first state with the opprotunity to really send a message and oppose the discrimination that the other states have been stubborn about. And members of this state, no matter the gender or age, has come out in opposition of this law, making the outcome anyones guess.

This law has many consequences if passed, which should make many of you question which is the right decision. The law is so broad that it could "deny health insurance for the children of domestic partners and endanger domestic violence survivors who are not married to their abusers." And not only would this effect gay couples, but straight as well. Who would want someone to vote for something that is so dangerous to our community?

While there are some huge supporters of this law, including Newt Gingrich, and the iconic religious Graham family, there are way more people that are opposed to this. First of all, our President of the United States opposes this. And the list goes down from Governor Bev Purdue to leaders of Bank of America and Duke Energy. With highly influencial figures such as these opposing this, I don't see how many people can ignore this.

And here is something interesting about what people think about when it comes to voting about this. According to Advocate.com, "A Public Policy Polling survey released last week showed that 55% of respondents favor the amendment and 41% oppose it. However, when respondents were informed about the broad reach of the amendment, only 38% supported it, compared to 46% opposed." So that is why it is so important for people to really know what they are voting for, and really search their souls before voting, and hopefully be able to sleep with their decision.

I'm sure many of you have already made your mind up about this. And that is fine, no matter what your view is on this. But I do ask that you be completely aware of what you are voting for. And imagine that this was your lifestyle that is being voted on. How would you want the outcome to be, and determining how you spend your time with your spouses and children. The Battle of North Carolina is going to be a big one, and I hope that you join the fight."

Any thoughts?

Edit: I removed the link because no comments are present at the moment.

OFFLINE   Daniel

Daniel

Big Brother fan

• Premium Members
  • 685 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta
Alert: This is just another way of getting people to go to Tyler's World.
"Everything is pretty much possible if you believe in yourself." ~ Celine Dion

OFFLINE   Tyler

Tyler

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 418 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
The full article is in this thread so unless people wanted to comment on my page, or read comments (which there is none at the moment), then nobody would have any reason to visit my page. I only posted it on here in light of the recent disagreement about Gay marrige that took place not too long ago on here and for the very few number of other NC residents to read it as well.

OFFLINE   Eissa

Eissa

Head Bitch In Charge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe

Alert: This is just another way of getting people to go to Tyler's World.

Even if it is, why do you care?!

OFFLINE   MissToastie

MissToastie

Claire Voyant.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
this is why gay marriage should be legal EVERYWHERE.

2cfz51j.gif

OFFLINE   KiZ

KiZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I don't see why people are so against it....love is love...

OFFLINE   dj030892

dj030892

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
That was a very moving video. So much for equality in society. I hope gay marriage is legalised everywhere. Gay people are just like anyone else, so they shouldn't be treated like they're second class citizens.

OFFLINE   ninafan

ninafan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
no reason at all and it's a form of discrimination not allowing gays to marry.

OFFLINE   x_LastNightOnEarth_x

x_LastNightOnEarth_x

Done with all your bitchcraft.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I cannot believe this absolutely bullshit amendment was passed. I can't believe in this day and age people are allowed to VOTE on someone's right to get married. It's disgusting and appalling.

So glad, however, that Obama stated today that he supports gay marriage. Amazing president is amazing.

AMPY2BF.png

where tired cliches won't let us fall asleep.

OFFLINE   Bernadette

Bernadette

KHALEESI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I wish people would stop caring about who another person marries! As long as the people are consenting adults does it really matter? their marriage doesn't affect ANYONE ELSE except them. Love is love. Equality for all.

I just don't understand it.

I wish Obama was the world's president, he's amazing, and ugh. Julia Gillard needs to follow suit.

OFFLINE   Paddyl90

Paddyl90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Heard comments on the radio on this issue after Barack's comments. Agree with others sentiments. Who am I to tell someone they can't love someone / marry someone. It's not my life, I don't lose sleep at night about it. My best mate came out to me last month and it caught me off guard and my initial reaction was "OMG!?" but instantly changed to "That's awesome! I'm so happy for you!" It's such a hard thing for anyone to do. It pisses me off people have to live with these "secrets" fearing the consequences if they come out. I felt privileged to be the first person he told. Anyway of the comments I heard today some people carry on like it's a world takeover and they feel so threatened. The common things they say are "It's not normal" "What's next? Marrying a cow or chicken". Like cmon people we're talking about humans here...I know one day it'll be legalised and there'll always be those against it but the majority in favour will prevail. Don't get me started on religion either. Load of crap. Also I would like to say that although people don't agree with gay marriage, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it, no matter how ridiculous you may believe their reasonings are. As those who are pro marriage equality we have to be respectful of other people's contrary opinions too.

Edited by Paddyl90, 10 May 2012 - 07:16 PM.

eb979414-4f14-4146-b909-21bfdcdbe2b6_zps

@paddyl90 love this!!!! So sweet!! Happy anniversary ha!! Thanku for ur appreciation and I appreciate your love and support xxx " - August 9th, 2013

OFFLINE   aussiemusiclover

aussiemusiclover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Also I would like to say that although people don't agree with gay marriage, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it, no matter how ridiculous you may believe their reasonings are. As those who are pro marriage equality we have to be respectful of other people's contrary opinions too.

While I don't agree with everything you said, I really do agree with what you have said here. Well said!
Regardless of what a debate is about, everyone is entitled to their opinion and we should be able to respect that.

Kind Regards,

Aussiemusiclover

aussiemusiclover.jpg
aussiemusiclover... formerly deltaluva2.

stand-by-hird-small_zps3420ec3b.jpg

OFFLINE   Paddyl90

Paddyl90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I saw the post the other week where everyone had a go at you for your opinions / thoughts. Whilst I don't agree with your thoughts, it's your opinion. It's an endless argument. You have your view, and we have our view. Not going to change each other's minds. Many people share your view, many people share our view. There's far more bigger issues in this world to be arguing over.

@paddyl90 love this!!!! So sweet!! Happy anniversary ha!! Thanku for ur appreciation and I appreciate your love and support xxx " - August 9th, 2013

OFFLINE   MissToastie

MissToastie

Claire Voyant.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
I can't help to take it personally when someone who doesn't agree on gay marriage tells me I should do something other than getting a marriage.

If you don't like gay marriage, fine, don't get one. If you tell me you're not for gay marriage then I'll shut up and say "okay, cool, I am" but when you tell me that I should go other ways around it and that marriage is between a man and a woman - that's when I'm never going to like you, i'm never going to speak to you, and I'm doing everything in my power to not stab you :)

I am a proud gay girl, and I want to marry my fiancee one day.

2cfz51j.gif

OFFLINE   Paddyl90

Paddyl90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Fair enough Toastie ;) you were more than entitled to feel that way. Just from a neutral standpoint on the conversation I thought I'd pop my two cents in.

OFFLINE   Bernadette

Bernadette

KHALEESI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

I saw the post the other week where everyone had a go at you for your opinions / thoughts. Whilst I don't agree with your thoughts, it's your opinion. It's an endless argument. You have your view, and we have our view. Not going to change each other's minds. Many people share your view, many people share our view. There's far more bigger issues in this world to be arguing over.

(the bolded bit)
Which is imo why it should be legal in the first place, I just find it so stupid that it's not.

OFFLINE   Tyler

Tyler

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 418 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
I also was very proud of President Obama, and hopefully his stance on the issue will start reversing actions taken against the gay community, if not allowing federal actions to protect them.

OFFLINE   dj030892

dj030892

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I myself am agnostic, but this needs to be watched by all Christians that oppose gay marriage beacuse 'the Bible says so.'

!

Edited by dj030892, 11 May 2012 - 04:22 PM.

OFFLINE   Eissa

Eissa

Head Bitch In Charge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe

I can't help to take it personally when someone who doesn't agree on gay marriage tells me I should do something other than getting a marriage.

If you don't like gay marriage, fine, don't get one. If you tell me you're not for gay marriage then I'll shut up and say "okay, cool, I am" but when you tell me that I should go other ways around it and that marriage is between a man and a woman - that's when I'm never going to like you, i'm never going to speak to you, and I'm doing everything in my power to not stab you :)

I am a proud gay girl, and I want to marry my fiancee one day.

Thank you.

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,681 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

I myself am agnostic, but this needs to be watched by all Christians that oppose gay marriage beacuse 'The Bible says so.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQjNJUSraY&feature=player_embedded#!

Thats over an hour. Can't you just summarise it or something? I mean its something that I am deeply interested in, I just dont have an hour to spare lol

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users