Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr Google+ Soundcloud iTunes RSS Contact Us
Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Welcome to Delta Goodrem's Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Claim that SOTOTW is a rip-off

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

ONLINE   Paddyl90

Paddyl90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

ten points if an article on this makes it onto the first page of google results for Paddyl90

twenty points if username is mentioned on ACA.

thirty points if arcade fire write a song about this and mention Paddyl90.

forty points if they do mention you in a song and you don't recognise the band when it's played on the radio and wonder why some random band is singing about you

Hahaha! I'm sure they don't care what I think. Journalism these days is pretty pathetic if my opinion is article worthy LOL!

Edited by Paddyl90, 30 April 2012 - 06:20 PM.

eb979414-4f14-4146-b909-21bfdcdbe2b6_zps

@paddyl90 love this!!!! So sweet!! Happy anniversary ha!! Thanku for ur appreciation and I appreciate your love and support xxx " - August 9th, 2013

OFFLINE   Eissa

Eissa

Head Bitch In Charge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe

SOTOTW is a good song, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think it sounds exactly like that Arcade Fire song. The musical resemblance is too massive to ignore. And Arcade Fire aren't exactly a bunch of nobodies, they're a very popular band.

Embarrassing for Delta, tbh.

Even more embarrassing for the people getting quoted in articles http://www.fasterlou...-Vs-Arcade-Fire hehehehehe xxxxxxxx

DOOD. I got quoted on that. Hell, that's not embarrassing, I still stand by my opinion. They really DID NOT deserve that Grammy. Eminem's Recovery did. So yeah, whatever.
And let's not push it with Arcade Fire's popularity. I like it just as much as the next person but it's just another band that sold out on it's indie cred once it was validated by the Grammys. And you can quote me on that, bitches.
Posted Image

Hahaha! I'm sure they don't care what I think. Journalism these days is pretty pathetic if my opinion is article worthy LOL!

That really hurt, man. It's like I just wasted four years of my life at college studying journalism.

Edited by Eissa, 30 April 2012 - 06:30 PM.

ONLINE   Paddyl90

Paddyl90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

SOTOTW is a good song, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think it sounds exactly like that Arcade Fire song. The musical resemblance is too massive to ignore. And Arcade Fire aren't exactly a bunch of nobodies, they're a very popular band.

Embarrassing for Delta, tbh.

Even more embarrassing for the people getting quoted in articles http://www.fasterlou...-Vs-Arcade-Fire hehehehehe xxxxxxxx

DOOD. I got quoted on that. Hell, that's not embarrassing, I still stand by my opinion. They really DID NOT deserve that Grammy. Eminem's Recovery did. So yeah, whatever.
And let's not push it with Arcade Fire's popularity. I like it just as much as the next person but it's just another band that sold out on it's indie cred once it was validated by the Grammys. And you can quote me on that, bitches.
Posted Image

That really hurt, man. It's like I just wasted four years of my life at college studying journalism.

It's pretty pathetic IF!!!! my opinion would be worth anything. LOL. No h8 for good journalists.

eb979414-4f14-4146-b909-21bfdcdbe2b6_zps

@paddyl90 love this!!!! So sweet!! Happy anniversary ha!! Thanku for ur appreciation and I appreciate your love and support xxx " - August 9th, 2013

OFFLINE   possessionless*

possessionless*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
I think it's pathetic. There are so many songs out there that sound similar to other songs. I believe it's inevitable. As there are more and more songs created, there is bound to be similarities out there. The fact that it made the news is unbelievable- must've been a slow news day or something!

Besides, delta is pretty creative and has created so many good songs/ melodies in the past, I doubt she needs to copy or rip off someone else's song!

OFFLINE   Johnson

Johnson

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 4,736 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
I could not believe this made it into today's Daily Telegraph! Although this is minor, it could prove to be problematic down the track if it is not sorted out now.
I just listened to the Arcade Fire song and the rhythms and beats did sound similar to Sitting on Top of the World.

OFFLINE   CielNocturne

CielNocturne

lion hearted girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Lmao well the chords sound alike but the rest - no way. Anyway, really like the Arcarde Fire song, too. But honestly, I don't think the similarity is a reason to sue, everything sound sooo alike these days. If it would work like that all people in the Top 20 would have to sue each other. Everything sounds like David Guetta and David Guetta sounds like everyone, ugh lol

tumblr_mjnpyvhkSl1qeo225o1_400.png
"All I got is this heart that I am willing to lose, I know in this life - I give it everything."

"Found a girl inside of me that I've been missing for so long, told her I that I'd never leave."

"Just when I stopped looking I saw just how far I'd come - in this life."

"One day, we won't exist, and all the hurt will turn to dust

It is easier to shut down than to open up to trust."

OFFLINE   ninafan

ninafan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
not like having the exact same name as another band, One Direction is being sued by a band in the US also called One Direction

Edited by ninafan, 30 April 2012 - 11:33 PM.

OFFLINE   greeneyes

greeneyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

I don't get what the fuss is about 1D has a song that sounds simular to a BSB song, Rhianna used part of MJ's Wanna Be Starting Something in one of her ones(I assume she paid him royalties for it), just listened to the mash up that site did and there are differences between the two songs and not just the lyrics and there was only certain times it seemed to echo.

there is a difference though in sampling (with permission) and plaigirising - without permission... not that im saying delta did either..

there are similarities... but they arent overwhelming

OFFLINE   Jessica's Jewels

Jessica's Jewels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I think I have heard of them, but I didn't know anything about them and hadn't heard their music.

The songs are very similar, and it isn't only the music. The "everytime you close your eyes" part sounds a lot like the chorus of Sitting On Top Of The World. The songs are not exactly the same, but they are too similar to be a coincidence. I hope it isn't going to make Delta look bad.

These are the comments on one of the websites: :)
Posted Image

Posted Image
Jessica 20 Victoria

OFFLINE   DeltaFan

DeltaFan

Graphics Maker/Obsessive Moonie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
ok so I just listened to it. Creepily similar :/

Here im standing in the night my crescent wand the only light

Posted Image

^ gif not by me :P

OFFLINE   phoenixgirl23

phoenixgirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta
I'd never heard of Arcade Fire before now, I don't think their my usual type of music, but I listened to the song when I heard what people were saying.
I can hear a similar type sound in the background, but I wouldn't say it's a rip-off, I think there's enough difference there.
And I kind of agree with what people are saying about the chords. It's the same with movies or books, almost everything resembles something else these days. It doesn't mean anything, it just happens.
Posted Image

OFFLINE   charmedchick

charmedchick

Let the silence be heard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
I've never heard of this band either TBH....

They two songs do sound very similar. I can't see Delta ripping off another song intentionally though. If anything she may have been influenced by it at most.

Can't wait til a song that sounds really similar to one of Delta's is released by someone... no doubt a lot of people on here would crucify them instead of saying "It happens" or "it's just a coincidence"... just sayin' ;)

No matter where the seasons fall
No matter how the dice will roll
In the end the here and now is all we have, don’t look back

Posted Image

OFFLINE   fredandadele

fredandadele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes

They two songs do sound very similar. I can't see Delta ripping off another song intentionally though. If anything she may have been influenced by it at most.

Can't wait til a song that sounds really similar to one of Delta's is released by someone... no doubt a lot of people on here would crucify them instead of saying "It happens" or "it's just a coincidence"... just sayin' ;)

Interesting that you mention this because American rappers Joe Budden samples Delta's 'Lost Without You" as his " hook" in "Lost Without You"
I always wondered if she gave her ok (probably) or if Sony even knew this. Anyway they put Delta's voice thru an autotune. The youtube video is very poignant but that autotune. :blink:

What's also interesting in this mini drama is that a group like Arcade Fire and hip hop artist Joe Budden and his producers actually know who Delta Goodrem is :lol: Aren't they supposedly too cool and hip for someone like Delta? SOTOTW is out just barely 3 weeks and seems like Arcade Fire was anticipating the song as much as we were. And bam the allegations of a rip off the second the song hits the airwaves in Australia, not even the UK or the US. This whole thing is weird.

Edited by fredandadele, 01 May 2012 - 12:07 PM.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Artin

Artin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,891 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe

What's also interesting in this mini drama is that a group like Arcade Fire and hip hop artist Joe Budden and his producers actually know who Delta Goodrem is :lol: Aren't they supposedly too cool and hip for someone like Delta? SOTOTW is out just barely 3 weeks and seems like Arcade Fire was anticipating the song as much as we were. And bam the allegations of a rip off the second the song hits the airwaves in Australia, not even the UK or the US. This whole thing is weird.

Arcade Fire never brought this up. Some random blog did.

Artin
My signature is awesome.

OFFLINE   bootsthecat

bootsthecat

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 131 posts
no offence biut they do sound eerely similier dont bash the band because delta may have accidently copied them imo that is not their fault

OFFLINE   Bernadette

Bernadette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

Interesting that you mention this because American rappers Joe Budden samples Delta's 'Lost Without You" as his " hook" in "Lost Without You"
I always wondered if she gave her ok (probably) or if Sony even knew this. Anyway they put Delta's voice thru an autotune. The youtube video is very poignant but that autotune. :blink:

Joe Budden doesn't need Delta's permission to use LWY since she didn't write it, if she wrote the song however that would be different, but yeah she didn't so there's no issue.

'You drive me crazy'

tumblr_mb67vtEDcG1ryttoco2_500.gif

OFFLINE   Bernadette

Bernadette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

Woops ignore what I just posted and edited out, he prob did need her permssion idek how it all works since there is so many parties involved, and it gets confusing.

'You drive me crazy'

tumblr_mb67vtEDcG1ryttoco2_500.gif

OFFLINE   MattA

MattA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Wow, I need to read topic titles better. Honestly didn't notice it anywhere in the list before I posted the article I found. I'm late finding out about stuff! XD

Eh, my whole thoughts and whatever have been mentioned in here already. 4 Chords Song reference is fantastic, the fact that this would be HIGHLY unintentional.. I mean, what benefit does Delta get from "actively" pursuing an Arcade Fire track? God, it's called "Rebellion (Lies)".. That's.. A lot darker than "Sitting On Top Of The World".

She hasn't "stolen" anything. Music is music. You can't patent a bass riff. Several bands have used the same riffs!

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, just in case the media's still SO INTENSELY reading about this.. I'M ON TV! :D

It should also be noted that the Arcade Fire track? 7-8 years ago. If Delta had *any rhyme or reason* to plagiarize.. Do you *really* think it would be a song from 7-8 years ago? That's insane.

-Previous Post-

Delta Goodrem shored up her post-Voice singing career last week by dropping the mathematically pleasant "Sitting On Top Of The World", which clinched second spot on last week's ARIA singles charts. But not everything has gone to plan for the singer turned actor turned reality star; the single has since dropped to #3 and is now being charged with plagiarism claims. Case in point? The shame hunters at Mess + Noise point us to this astute post by former Gerling member Darren Cross who senses more than a passing resemblance to the Arcade Fire single"Rebellion (Lies)".

It's kind of hard to argue with him. Play and compare the two below.

*Quiet voice* Is anyone sorta vibing on the mash-up? No of course not, neither are we.

Source: Pedestrian.tv

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I won't post the link to the article, because as I understand it, links are a no-no?

Needless to say, this is absolute garbage. The songs sound "similar", but are nowhere near "exact". No one's ripped anyone off. Hell, I'm sure Arcade Fire or any of their influences have done a similar thing. People learn from others and create something new. It seems people are assuming that music is entirely original these days. Anyone ever heard The Axis of Awesome's 4 Chords Song? Clearly, it's not an issue. Now, one could get all involved in "copyright infringement", piracy and whatever (which, let's be honest, I'm fairly certain *most* indie fans tend to pirate published artists, because "screw the system!", right..?) But Delta made HER song. Her lyrics, her experience. Yes, The Arcade Fire are some indie obscure Canadian band, with fans who will launch a vicious attack on anything and anyone that isn't The Arcade Fire... But come on. Really? REALLY? This is unnecessary.

Edited by MattA, 04 May 2012 - 07:55 PM.

OFFLINE   Future_JD

Future_JD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta

Wow, I need to read topic titles better. Honestly didn't notice it anywhere in the list before I posted the article I found. I'm late finding out about stuff! XD

Eh, my whole thoughts and whatever have been mentioned in here already. 4 Chords Song reference is fantastic, the fact that this would be HIGHLY unintentional.. I mean, what benefit does Delta get from "actively" pursuing an Arcade Fire track? God, it's called "Rebellion (Lies)".. That's.. A lot darker than "Sitting On Top Of The World".

She hasn't "stolen" anything. Music is music. You can't patent a bass riff. Several bands have used the same riffs!

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, just in case the media's still SO INTENSELY reading about this.. I'M ON TV! :D

It should also be noted that the Arcade Fire track? 7-8 years ago. If Delta had *any rhyme or reason* to plagiarize.. Do you *really* think it would be a song from 7-8 years ago? That's insane.

I think you mean you can't copyright a bass rift because it wouldn't meet the element of "originality." No part of song can be patented because it isn't patentable subject matter (Product or process of a product). I'm sure you meant it that way and it was just a mistaken usage of the word, but I just wanted to make sure we were accurately talking about the right type of law.

I found the girl inside of me that I've been missing for so long.

I told her that I'd never leave...

OFFLINE   Sophiebear

Sophiebear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
It could be classed under IP (intellectual property), however. Although the law is hazy on that matter at best...

xo

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users