Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr Google+ Soundcloud iTunes RSS Contact Us
Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Welcome to Delta Goodrem's Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Claim that SOTOTW is a rip-off

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   fredandadele

fredandadele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
"rip off" Just came across a tweet from some band that said Delta's SOTOTW is similar to their song :o This is how you know the single is a hit :P But seriously I listend to the 2 songs and really the only thing similar seems to me to be the guitar chords in a similar key (don't know If I'm making sense). I don't play the guitar but do know what piano chords are. I don't have access to any liner notes so I don't know if the chords have been sampled or just coincidence which can happen with basic music. And there could be music similar to the band before their music so....
I'll post the link to the band....
Posted Image

OFFLINE   Daniel

Daniel

Big Brother fan

• Premium Members
  • 684 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta
What the.....
"Everything is pretty much possible if you believe in yourself." ~ Celine Dion

OFFLINE   fredandadele

fredandadele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Other than the basic chords/beat, nothing else is similar to SOTOTW. Never heard of this band before

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Paddyl90

Paddyl90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Very similar with the chords but as if Delta would've heard of this no name band and "ripped them off" It would be impossible to create music if every song that had a similar sound to another song. A chord is a chord... no one can claim direct ownership to a chord.

eb979414-4f14-4146-b909-21bfdcdbe2b6_zps

@paddyl90 love this!!!! So sweet!! Happy anniversary ha!! Thanku for ur appreciation and I appreciate your love and support xxx " - August 9th, 2013

OFFLINE   MissToastie

MissToastie

Claire Voyant.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
These days, barely any music have their own original sounds. It's more than just a few chords too :) A lot sounds the same.

On another note, I really like The Arcade Fire.

2cfz51j.gif

OFFLINE   x_LastNightOnEarth_x

x_LastNightOnEarth_x

Done with all your bitchcraft.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Omfg, you could sing all of SOTOTW to that song. I'm dying. The intro started, and automatically I was like, "Holy shit."

They sound so similar.

AMPY2BF.png

where tired cliches won't let us fall asleep.

OFFLINE   MissToastie

MissToastie

Claire Voyant.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Y NO ONE HEARD OF ARCADE FIRE? They've been around for yeeeeeeeeeears.

2cfz51j.gif

OFFLINE   Palmaceous

Palmaceous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Well ... I really believe Delta is creative enough. She doesn't need to copy anyone at all.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   time-ticks

time-ticks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
The Arcade Fire song has had 3 million hits on youtube. It's hardly obscure. Even the positive reviews have pointed out the similarity .

OFFLINE   fredandadele

fredandadele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Even the key changes are typical of guitar chords and are slightly different than SOTOTW. No worries (at least I don't think so :ph34r: ) but It's things like this that make me want media, when interviewing an artist about a new project, ask them about the artistic process. It covers everyone. Not about who they are dating <_< Thankfully that novafm DID ask and Delta explained the process between her and John Shanks. :)
Posted Image

OFFLINE   chilloutman

chilloutman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
yes SOTOTW and Arcade Fire's song do sound very similar, I've done a comparrison, but many many songs do this, they have the same BMP and chords, a lot of songs sound so alike nowadays, its almost like they use the same chords and BMP cause it's 'safe' but we all know that Delta is original and wouldn't steal an idea, she's too talented to do that.

When I get knocked out

Before you count to ten

I'll get up again

And if I get knocked down

After I hit the floor

I'll be coming back at you

OFFLINE   Artin

Artin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,850 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe

Very similar with the chords but as if Delta would've heard of this no name band and "ripped them off" It would be impossible to create music if every song that had a similar sound to another song. A chord is a chord... no one can claim direct ownership to a chord.

A no name band with a #1 & #2 album in the US?

Artin
My signature is awesome.

OFFLINE   jx3delta

jx3delta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Whenever a song comes out, it always seems to be attacked for copying another song.
People need to understand there aren't an infinite number of chords to go around, so of course, some pieces of music will sound somewhat similar.
With that being said, there's the exception when some people do actually plagiarise a song.

But, yeah, these two songs do sound similar in some aspects, but not in its entirety.
Both songs have their own timbre, and I think that's what separates the two songs.

Posted Image
091207|030408|210808|180412
© banner and icon by me

OFFLINE   JimJim

JimJim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
LOL @ people labelling The Arcade Fire as some obscure band :lol:

They do sound similar however, in related news the chorus of SOTOTW reminds me of http://youtu.be/cishMd81oB4?t=36s

OFFLINE   Eissa

Eissa

Head Bitch In Charge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Whatever, Arcade Fire didn't deserve that Album of the Year Grammy. I'm sorry, but they just didn't.

OFFLINE   thisishowitworks

thisishowitworks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH so it does!
Very sly Delta, very sly indeed.
Nothing is original anymore

Meh.

Posted Image

| Now I'm with yooou |

OFFLINE   ninafan

ninafan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
I can't hear much of a simularity, from what I can hear their song's more base/drum base while SOTOTW is more upbeat and lead based not base, the background is the only thing I can find simular.

OFFLINE   rachelm

rachelm

starlight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

Y NO ONE HEARD OF ARCADE FIRE? They've been around for yeeeeeeeeeears.

Lol I've heard of them! I was like...they're not a no-mark small time band, they're actually quite big!

I guess there is a small, tiny similarity in that opening bass....but meh I dont know. I wouldn't say they were similar at all!

Edited by rachelm, 28 April 2012 - 10:21 PM.

tumblr_mdy28gi4sp1r3qj73o4_500.gif

OFFLINE   Mikesig2234

Mikesig2234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity

A no name band? Who has won a Grammy?

Hi my name is Mike, and i'm sitting on top of the world. Massive Delta Goodrem fan. Wishing everyone a happy life full of love, light, and joy xx.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/mikesig2234 ; Insta: Mikesig2234 ; Tumblr: http://peroxideonmyheart.tumblr.com

OFFLINE   Paddyl90

Paddyl90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Well then I'm on my own then with my "no name band". Let me phrase it to "Never heard of them" "not my type of music" band then.

eb979414-4f14-4146-b909-21bfdcdbe2b6_zps

@paddyl90 love this!!!! So sweet!! Happy anniversary ha!! Thanku for ur appreciation and I appreciate your love and support xxx " - August 9th, 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users