Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram Tumblr Google+ Soundcloud iTunes RSS Contact Us
Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Welcome to Delta Goodrem's Official Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Keith Urban

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,784 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Me recommending to Artin about Keith Urban:

I love Keith's music so much, because I dont feel there are many good male artists out there whose music I can relate to but with Keith it is like he is directly speaking to me or for me, he's incredible.

As a general guideline I'd say listen to his album Defying Gravity [2009] but since I wanna introduce you to him I will give you three songs for now and if you like those you can look at the list of recommended songs under it.
  • Long Hot Summer (from his 2010 album Get Closer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dtfBxUTXRY
This song is fun, relaxing and has the summer vibe. I love it and can just listen to it on repeat. Co-written with Richard Marx
Not so much a country song, but more rockier. Its hard to call Keith's music Country cause usually you think of Country Music being like Slim Dusty, Garth Brooks and Gavin DeGraw but Keith opened up the gates for someone like Taylor Swift to Country Pop which is just like Pop music but with heart.
  • Somebody Like You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fy91mHAPpE
Co-written with John Shanks - This song is so open in to who Keith Urban is as an artist. Raw with his emotions but relentlessly positive and wanting to be taken away by love. My favourite line: "I used to run in circles going no where fast I'd take one step forward and two steps back, Couldn't walk a straight line even if I wanted to" which is an obvious reference to his ongoing public alcohol addiction.
  • You're My Better Half
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc-VttjKW3A&ob=av2e
Also co-written with Sitting On Top of the World writer John Shanks, I saw this film clip on Max one day and thats what got me into Keiths music. As above how I was saying, his music represents Keith as a person so you feel like you know him. Its a sweet song saying to one's girlfriend, you are the reason I can make it through everything

"Cause when it all comes down And I'm feeling like I'll never last I just lean on you 'cause baby You're my better half"

Songs not from Defying Gravity which are also great: Better Life, Days Go By, I Told You So, Put You In A Song

Defying Gravity is like a body of work - I could recommend songs from it but I'd rather you listened to it as an album. If you do indeed like Keith's music.

Let me know what you think!

Do we have fans of Keith here?

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Memories

Memories

Memories

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
:wub:

I adore Keith Urban! He captures such emotion in his songs! I love the live version of "You'll Think of Me". He adds another lyric in there that is so powerful and raw. It is really beautiful. One of my favorite songs of his. Another one I could listen to over and over is a recent song he wrote for the movie "Act of Valor" titled "For You" and it is so powerful. It really makes you stop and think.

Here it is for anyone who has yet to listen....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWK1sG3spiE

Edited by Memories, 27 March 2012 - 10:16 AM.

bannerMemories07_zpsa809b648.png

OFFLINE   DeltaGirl

DeltaGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I'm so glad there are KU fans on here!
And I love all the songs you guys have suggested!
I do think the film clips off Defying Gravity could be McDonalds adds though :P
And I love when he improvises on You'll Think Of Me - it was the first song I learnt to play on guitar :)
He always conveys so much raw emotion in his voice, its like it pierces through your soul.
And his guitar playing ability is right up there with the greats IMO, he always knows just how much solo a song needs and uses that guitar as a second voice, not just something to show off on - like in Stupid Boy - he didnt write that one, but he added the guitar solo to it which gives it so much more dimension, and i love that he writes plenty of his music, but isn't afraid to sing songs by another writer if it resonates with him.
All in all, his music is perfection, and I'll be honest - and this is a huge stretch to say it, I adore Delta, but if i could go to only 3 concerts a year - I'd go to one delta and 2 Keith! Thats how unbelieveably amazing he is live!
And delta is my facourite all time artist!
So thats saying something!!
But even his band is amazing, he records with the same guys he tours with, and they all get into it, the guy playing keys one time got so into it he jumped on his stool, then fell off - but kept playing the whole song!!!!!! it was amazing!!!
I love his music so much, ok, I'm going to watch one of his dvds now :D
Stay Classy :)

OFFLINE   RockChix84

RockChix84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Keith Urban is awesome
Tom Keifer set made by me
tom_zps7ba3a692.png

OFFLINE   Memories

Memories

Memories

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Child Of The Universe
Below is one of my favorite performances of Keith Urban by far! It really is beautiful!
Just a breath-taking live performance of "You'll Think of Me" by Keith Urban!

I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk1nw4Uoxig

bannerMemories07_zpsa809b648.png

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,784 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Wow.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Walshy

Walshy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta
Keith's touring at the start of next year if anyone's interested!
Posted Image

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,784 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I'm going, so so excited.

I just realised that Keith is like a country Michael Buble, similar to Westlife as well and I dont know how to feel about that.

A lot of his music is covers of originals. I have no problem with artists occasionally outsourcing songs to make the album feel complete but I find it upsetting when its a direct cover.

"Making Memories of Us"
"Raining on Sunday" - Radney Foster
"Jeans On" - A Jeans commercial in 60's
"I'm In" on his Defying Gravity album - originally by Radney Foster.
"Stupid Boy" - originally sung by a girl
"I Cant Stop Loving You" - Leo Sayer

And then he becomes almost like the country Britney Spears with songs written specifically for him to sing

LoCash Cowboys wrote "You Gonna Fly" for Keith.
"Only You Can Love Me This Way"

Dont get me wrong, Keith writes majority of his music and he is extremely talented. I'm a huge fan.
I just dont appreciate that a lot of his music is covers. If I didnt know, it wouldnt be a problem lol

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Walshy

Walshy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Delta
My band is thinking of playing his version of stupid boy as one of our songs in Our schools battle of the bands final
Posted Image

OFFLINE   DeltaGirl

DeltaGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
I bought the delux ed of get closer on ebay that was a target exclusive and the bonus live tracks (i tihnk) are just the recordings from the LPATWCWT DVD.. bit disappointing.. but still good :D
Stay Classy :)

OFFLINE   lisa116

lisa116

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
Keith is awesome :) I absoultly love Kiss A Girl :)

OFFLINE   CielNocturne

CielNocturne

lion hearted girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Really love his voice and many of his songs! Love the Days Go By album!

tumblr_mjnpyvhkSl1qeo225o1_400.png
"All I got is this heart that I am willing to lose, I know in this life - I give it everything."

"Found a girl inside of me that I've been missing for so long, told her I that I'd never leave."

"Just when I stopped looking I saw just how far I'd come - in this life."

"One day, we won't exist, and all the hurt will turn to dust

It is easier to shut down than to open up to trust."

OFFLINE   rove91

rove91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Innocent Eyes
I LOVE YOU ARE MY BETTER HALF AND FOR YOU , HE IS GOOD .. I ONLY JUST STARTED TO LISTEN TO HIM BECAUSE HE WAS ON THE VOICE LOL..
Posted Image

OFFLINE   Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• Premium Members
  • 2,784 posts

• Favourite Album:
    Mistaken Identity
Bump lol

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users